Monday, July 1, 2019

We went to First UMC of Royal Oak this morn where I so appreciated the message. It resonated with me for many reasons but especially when the pastor said that the LGBTQIA letters can sometimes be confusing to her simply because she doesn’t always understand each letter fully. She went on to say “that’s okay” because what she DOES understand is that for every letter added SOMEONE was BRAVE enough to stand up and claim WHO they are.

She then said that before she came to that church, she had not known a transgender person but one of her dearest friends now was Lacey (a woman close to my age who was sitting in the front pew).  She shared how when she told Lacey she had never known a transgender before meeting her, Lacey responded, “neither had I”.

Imagine how BRAVE it was for someone from my generation to CLAIM WHO she IS?!?

These hymn lyrics immediately came to mind:

“Do not be afraid I am with you.
  I have called you each by name.
  Come and follow me.
  I will take you home.
  I LOVE YOU AND YOU ARE MINE.”

Every ounce of my being believes God CLAIMS you and me and Lacey and all his children, whatever our ‘letter’.


So, I decided this month of Pride to share that with you.

No comments: